Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UV-5R - not picking up anything

Hi All,

Can anybody offer advice on why my new UV-5R is not picking up anything????

I have used CHIRP to program a few channels up including the police, ambulance, the council and also two repeaters (my local repeater may or may not be functional depending on the web site I visit) and it is picking up nothing doing a channel scan.

If I do a frequency scan, it never finishes and never picks up anything either. I have reduced squelch to 1 and still nothing.

What am I doing wrong?

My Chirp settings are as per the attached screen shot.... which I cant attach.... so its the long way....

Loc = 2, Freq = 166.55000 Name = Amd-BST, Tone = None, Duplix = Off, Mode = FM, Power = HIGH
    Loc = 3, Freq = 166.36250 Name = Amd-PORT, Tone = None, Duplix = Off, Mode = FM, Power = HIGH
    Loc = 4, Freq = 433.3250 Name = GB3ET-R, Tone = Tone, Tone = 71.9, Duplux = +, Offset = 1.60000, Mode = NFM, Power = HIGH
    Loc = 5, Freq = 145.725000 Name = GB3SN-R, Tone = Tone, Tone = 71.9, Duplux = -, Offset = 0.60000, Mode = NFM, Power = HIGH
    Loc = 6, Freq = 166.250 Name = BAD-1, Tone = None, Duplix = Off, Mode = FM, Power = HIGH
    Loc = 7, Freq = 171.050 Name = BAD-2, Tone = None, Duplix = Off, Mode = FM, Power = HIGH
    Loc = 8, Freq = 451.4750 Name = POLICE1, Tone = None, Duplix = Off, Mode = FM, Power = HIGH
    Loc = 9, Freq = 465.3750 Name = POLICE2, Tone = None, Duplix = Off, Mode = FM, Power = HIGH
    Loc = 10, Freq = 452.5750 Name = OSCAR1, Tone = None, Duplix = Off, Mode = FM, Power = HIGH
    Loc = 11, Freq = 466.4750 Name = OSCAR2, Tone = None, Duplix = Off, Mode = FM, Power = HIGH

Hi Jaffab

The police & other emergency services are now all on digital equipment that you can no longer listen into for improved security & so those older frequencies are not longer in use, those you've listed within the 166-171 are commercial radio frequencies & will be licensed to individuals or companies for their exclusive use.

You should be hearing some activity on the repeaters if they are still active, can you open them? If not check you have the correct CTCSS tone saved, & if still unable to open them it may be that they have switched to digital as well, a number of repeaters by me are on the Yaesu fusion system which still allows both digital & analogue users to access the repeaters.

You didn't say if you have an amateur radio call sign but if you don't then you may get some good activity on the licence free PMR channels so I would add those as well, again, around my location there is an active group of radio users on all of the PMR frequencies.

PMR Channel - Frequency (MHz)
    1. 446.00625
    2. 446.01875
    3. 446.03125
    4. 446.04375
    5. 446.05625
    6. 446.06875
    7. 446.08125
    8. 446.09375

If you haven't already done so I would recommend using a better antenna, the stock rubber duck antenna is almost useless, better to use a base station antenna like the Diamond X30 or X50 if your use is from a home location or use a roll up J-pole antenna for portable operating, the longer whip antennas sold for the UV5R are often fake & so some work well & others not so good, but the key to hearing more is to improve your antenna, a good rule of thumb is to spend twice as much on your antenna as you have on your radio.

You can listen in to radio comms around the world using web based sdr sites like this one... http://websdr.org

I particularly use the Hack Green feed as it has both VHF /UHF & HF streams & it is easily with range for me, any signal I transmit can be seen on the Hack Green waterfall trace, use the waterfall view to spot the signals & then tune to them to listen, VHF/UHF can be active at any time, with HF 20m & below will be more active during daylight hours & 40m & up being more active during hours of darkness, hope that helps.

VHF/UHF with 4m & 10m.... http://hackgreensdr.org:8902
    HF...160m-17m.... http://hackgreensdr.org:8901

Good luck
    Wf
    Last edited by Wingfoot; 30-10-2017, 13:50.

Comment

Great info. Thanks

Comment

Working...
      X